Monday 23 January 2012

Cheese Snacks

\

I’m about as caker as you can get, but that doesn’t mean my own people can’t mystify me at times. Or horrify me. (This still gives me nightmares.) Still, I’m willing to give most cakers the benefit of the doubt.

When I saw this recipe, I wondered, “Why?” Why dip cubes of bread into cheddar cheese soup? Was this an appetizer? A main course for low-income cakers? The ramblings of a mad church lady?

But I made them, because you never know. These could be totally delicious. Right?

Let’s just say my people continue to mystify me.

1 can Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup
1 can milk (as per soup instructions)
Stale bread, cut into cubes (see note)

Prepare Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup as directed with milk. Dip bread on three sides [EDITOR'S NOTE: A cube has six sides. Why are the other three sides completely ignored?!? This should've been my first red flag.] and place on pan. Put in 450º to 475º oven for 8-10 minutes.

Note: I used sour dough bread because I thought it would taste better. Chalk one up to naïveté.


Source: Our 20th Anniversary Cookbook, Lambeth Co-operative Playschool Inc.

5 comments:

  1. Were you at least able to use them as croutons in a salad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, no. They weren't crispy enough to withstand the onslaught a good drenching of Catalina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird! Maybe a quick fry in the pan would have crisped them up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ally. You know, my disappointment in these wasn't so much the texture. It was the taste. As in, there was none. Maybe I've been spoiled by the sharp cheddar tang of Crunchits and Cheezies. Damn you, artificial colours and flavours. Damn you for ruining all that's pure and natural in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these sound rather tasty

    ReplyDelete