Friday 16 November 2012

Caker Fail: Carol's Girdle Busters




We interrupt "Stuff Made with Cereal" month with a tale on how not to be stupid-like.

By now, I think we can all agree that I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. But every now and then, my dumbness manages to find another floor down.

Recently, I came across a recipe called Carol’s Girdle Busters. Naturally, I had to make them. Any recipe with “Carol” and “girdle” in the name is like a Kmart Blue Light Special flashing in my brain. But halfway through making them, something seemed vaguely familiar. Then I realized – I’d already made them. Three months ago.

At the time, they were called Peanut Butter Gems, so maybe my confusion is understandable. But aside from the names, both recipes are pretty much the same.

Carol’s recipe follows. The Peanut Butter Gems recipe is here. Whatever version you make is up to you. And if you feel like calling them Carol’s Peanut Girdle Gem Busters, well, you go right ahead. I'm the last person to judge.

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup butter
1 ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
2 cups icing sugar
1 ½ cups chocolate chips
¼ cup butter

Melt butter and peanut butter together. Take off heat and add graham cracker crumbs and icing sugar. Press firmly into 9x9 pan. Melt chocolate chips with butter. Mix until smooth. Pour and spread chocolate over crumb crust. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.


Source: Centennial Central School Cook Book, Arva Ontario, 1995




6 comments:

  1. Ha ha. Your seniors' moment is our gain. Or at least Carol's gain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling Carol might've gained a lot if she made these Girdle Busters often.

      Delete
  2. I love it! Your sense of humour and foodie attitude kind of rock. So glad I found this blog! ~ Suzie the Foodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, these sound good. I always ask friends who go to the States to bring me back Graham Crackers as you can only get them in crazy assed American food speciality shops here in England and they cost about a million pounds a box. I laughed out loud on the tube recently when reading in the newspaper about the new craze here for S'mores (whatever the hell they are). A woman interviewed said that she had to make hers with something else, "because of the Graham Cracker situation". I knew exactly what she meant - even if I have never eaten - or even seen - a S'more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lord, Lya! I had no idea you Brits were deprived of graham crackers! And no S'mores! Please tell me you've managed to have a Hello Dolly in your time. As a substitute, you could use ground up vanilla wafers instead of the graham crackers.

      Delete