Monday 29 July 2013

Dream Loaf




My relationship with JELL-O is like a lot of other relationships in my life: complicated.

On the one hand, JELL-O and cakers go together like Shields and Yarnell, Captain and Tenille, Leonardo DiCaprio and [insert model name]. But whenever I attempt to make something with JELL-O, it never really works out. (See Ribbon Salad, a.k.a. Rainbow Barf, as an example.)

This Dream Loaf sounded so simple. Start with JELL-O, add some Dream Whip, toss in some cookie crumbs and repeat. I could see it in my head, all those beautiful alternating layers, glistening in the sunlight and Mother laughing and laughing as I spoon fed her bite after wobbly bite.

But then it came out looking like this. All gobbledy-gooky. The “dream” died even before it had a chance to live. Having said that, it still tasted good. Just too bad it looked like the Titanic shipwreck. (It does look a little like that, doesn't it? I can't be the only one who sees it.)

Anyway, JELL-O, I'm not certain about our future. Maybe one of us needs to firm up. And maybe one of us just needs to walk away.

P.S. There's still time to enter the Top 5 Caker Fashions contest! Details here.

1 package Dream Whip
JELL-O (any flavour)
Chocolate wafer biscuits

Prepare JELL-O and refrigerate until slightly firm. Set aside ¼ of the JELL-O. Prepare Dream Whip according to package instructions. Combine ¼ JELL-O and Dream Whip together. Crumble chocolate wafer biscuits. In loaf pan, place layer of JELL-O, layer of Dream Whip and JELL-O mixture, layer of crumble wafer biscuits. Continue doing layers, ending with Dream Whip and JELL-O mixture and a few crumbled biscuits on top. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Slice to serve.

A great finish to any meal!


Source: What’s In the Oven?

Yes, I used the unicorn book again. Serves me right.

12 comments:

  1. Brian,
    Talk about a hot mess! Don't give up on Jello yet. There are two tricks to getting a Jello to gel up right...

    1st is stir the hot water and powder for the full 2 minutes (or even a little longer).

    2nd is to use less water. I came up with this the 1st time I made Jiggler's. Try using 3/4 cup boiling water and 3/4 cup cold.

    Polly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly, you just might be the lighthouse in my dark JELL-O night. I'll definitely try those techniques next time. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Just walk away from the Jell-O, Brian. Just walk away. It's no good for you. You're better off without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't walk away if it keeps jiggling its way back to me.

      Delete
  3. Brian, can I use cool whip instead of dream whip? Seems like I could make this even easier if I can skip the time consuming step of mixing up the dream whip. By the way, if you've never heard the song "Kool Whip" by the Austin Lounge lizards you must give it a listen. It is a bit of a tribute to all foods caker!
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/creatures-from-the-black-saloon-mw0000265594

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found my new wake-up song! Thank you for that link. Finally, music I can relate to.
      Yes, I think you could use Cool Whip. Only thing is that Dream Whip is stiffer, so when you add the JELL-O, it might not hold its shape as well. But, given the visual disaster above, I doubt it'll matter.

      Delete
    2. You're right, judging by the photo it looks more like "scream loaf" but I bet it is mouth-wateringly delicious.

      Delete
    3. "Scream loaf" pretty much sums it up. But in spite of the "eesch!" factor, it went down pretty easily.

      Delete
  4. It TOTALLY looks like the Titanic wreckage.
    As for the Jell-O, keep practicing.

    It gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just saying that. Do you work for JELL-O?

      Delete
  5. Make it in a plastic wine glass and you won't have to worry about texture for slicing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A plastic wine glass? That's just so tacky, Clare. A jam jar would be much more sophisticated.

      Delete